Friday 25 May 2012

Flowers Around The Swale


 Whilst wandering around the reserve this morning enjoying the sunshine, I thought I'd take a few photos of the wild flowers that were out, courtesy of my humble Fuji camera. (Double click on the first one and they all come up much better).
Above we have Salsify and below, Scentless Mayweed.


 I couldn't resist adding this impressive display of Red Campion, with a border of Rape, that is along the Leysdown Road.


 Back to the reserve and the Comfrey below is attracting many bees and it is followed by Water Forget-me-not.


A colourful addition along the ditches is the Yellow Water Iris.


Red-flowered Houndstongue is beginning to flower, one to leave alone this is, as it smells of mouse urine.


 Along some of the grazed banks by the seawall there are now large carpets of Sheep's Sorrel.


 Prickly Sowthistle.


 One of my favourites, the simple but pretty Dog Rose.


 Hawthorn, or aptly named May blossom.


 The yellow cousin of Salsify - Goatsbeard.


 And on the saltings, large clumps of Thrift.


This Small Copper was having a rest on a dry cow pat on the grazing marsh and stayed just long enough for me to quickly snap it.


 And finally, Celery-leaved Buttercup in one of the ditches.


6 comments:

  1. Thanks John, we keep on plugging away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good set Derek. I must confess I know nothing about plants really. Nice Small Copper shot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Marc.
    Wild flowers are a great subject and good fun, you should get yourself a decent book and carry it around. My bible amongst several that I have is one called "The Wild Flowers of Britain and Northern Europe" by Richard Fitter, Alastair Fitter and Marjorie Blamey, although it may be out of print now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Believe it or not I've been happy with McClintock and Fitter from 1956, until last year when I got Collins Flower Guide from 2009 (a much heavier book, thicker, larger pages, heavier paper). So not one for the rucksack even, but for the bookshelf. We don't have salsify here in Scandinavia, otherwise I can match most of the others in our overgrown garden. Except the buttercup, life's too short for sorting out the buttercups. Thanks for reviving many memories of walking Shellness-Harty or Rushenden-Elmley.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sidney, glad I jogged a few memories, there's nothing like a bit of nostagia.
    I've always been happiest with the book that I quoted, despite buying more up-to-date types.

    ReplyDelete